Documentation for Psychiatric Disabilities
Health care providers should submit the following information to email@example.com. Documentation may be faxed to 509-335-8511 (confidential fax).
For the purpose of this policy, a psychological/psychiatric disability is defined as an impairment of cognitive, educational, and/or social functioning caused by a disorder as described in the American Psychiatric Diagnostic Statistical Manual, 4th edition (DSM-V) or successive editions. The documentation should:
- Specify the nature, severity, current impact of the disability, and anticipated duration;
- Address the student's current ability to function in the college environment (e.g., ability to focus, retain information, organize one's time, attend class, organize and write papers, work in groups or alone).
- If the condition is episodic, please help us understand the impact by including:
- Triggers and warning symptoms of onset
- Symptoms experienced during an episode
- Frequency and duration of episodes
- Care plan for management
- Side effects of medication on the student's ability to meet the demands of the postsecondary environment (physical, perceptual, behavioral, or cognitive).
- A description of the expected progression or stability of the disability over time.
- Optional: Suggestions of academic adjustments and/or auxiliary aids with supporting evidence may be included. The final determination for providing appropriate academic adjustments and auxiliary aids rests with the WSU Pullman Disability Services provider.
Documentation should be from a qualified healthcare provider and include:
- Contact information
- License number
- Signature or electronic signature
Disability and medical information is confidential and is not shared except where disclosure is required by law or is necessary to facilitate legitimate University processes, including granting appropriate accommodations, addressing direct threats, or investigating claims or charges.
Questions or concerns regarding documentation requirements can be directed to our staff at 509-335-3417 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Documentation may be uploaded directly into their Application [MyAccess], emailed to email@example.com, faxed to 509-335-8511, or mailed:
217 Washington Building
PO Box 642322
Pullman, WA 99164-2322