Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Access Center

Grievance Policy & Procedures


Students registered with WSU Access Center who believe they have been adversely impacted by Access Center staff, policies or procedures, or who believed that an assigned accommodation is not being appropriately provided, should first contact the Access Center. If the student is not satisfied, they have a right to file a formal grievance. This complaint should be made as soon as possible after the action that triggers concern, and the complaint will be resolved based on timelines stated the procedures below.


1. Students should present their concerns in writing to the WSU Access Center Director. The grievance should contain the following elements.

  • Specifics of the concern, including the student’s rationale for filing the grievance
  • History of the issue, including steps that the student has taken to date
  • Individuals against whom the concern is being filed
  • Requested resolution to the concern
  • Contact information for the student

If the grievance relates to accommodations granted or not granted to a student, accommodations will not be adjusted until the Director has reached a decision. The Director will investigate and respond to the student within one week. 


Meredyth Goodwin, Director, Access Center
Washington Building 217

2. Once a formal decision has been made and the student informed, the student may appeal to the WSU Pullman Dean of Students within 20 business days of the Director’s response. The Access Center will provide the Dean of Students with the grievance documents submitted by the students. Only facts already in evidence will be considered.

Jill Creighton, Dean of Students & Associate Vice President, Campus Life
French Administration Building

WSU students who believe they have been discriminated against due to a disability may pursue a formal grievance/compliant through WSU’s Compliance and Civil Rights Office: 


Compliance and Civil Rights Office

French Administration Building, Room 225



Students may also pursue a complaint/grievance with the Washington State Human Rights Commission ( The Commission enforces the Law Against Discrimination (RCW49.60).

Students may also pursue a complaint/grievance with the Office of Civil Rights within the U.S. Department of Education.  Information can be found at the following link:

Contact for the Seattle Office can be found below:

Office for Civil Rights, Seattle Office
U.S. Department of Education
915 Second Avenue, Room 3310
Seattle, WA 98174-1099
Telephone: 206.607.1600 
Fax: 206.607.1601


Faculty members have the same right as students to raise questions and concerns with disability services/accommodations, especially when it is believed that the accommodations granted present a fundamental alteration to the academic integrity of the course. Faculty must speak directly to the student’s Access Advisor and NOT to the student in question. In addition, faculty members are still obligated to provide all accommodations as stated in the Letter of Accommodation until resolution is reached.

If a faculty member is still dissatisfied after the Access Advisor has considered the concern and provided rationale, the faculty should speak directly to the Access Center Director or his or her department chair. The department chair will confer with the College Dean and university Provost as needed and will respond to the faculty member within two weeks. Accommodations may not be adjusted until resolution is reached.


Access Center contact

Meredyth Goodwin, Director, Access Center
Washington Building 217